Thursday, April 15, 2021

2021.4.15. Got my first Covid vaccine shot

On 4/15, everyone over 16 years of age in WA are eligible for COVID vaccine.
4/13, I received an email from SCCA "We are writing today with an update on how to schedule your COVID-19 vaccine. By Friday, April 16, you will receive an email with a link to schedule a vaccine at the Fred Hutch/SCCA COVID-19 Vaccination Program at South Lake Union".
4/14, received this link, and I scheduled right away.
4/15, I packed a sandwich, a drink and a book, and headed to the clinic just before noon.

It was very efficient and orderly. Arrows on the floor and helpers at every turn.
First my temperature was measured at the door and some questions were asked.
2nd, registration table, ~7-8 simutaneously. More questions were asked, data entered into a computer, and I was booked for my 2nd shot (3 weeks from today). I received my vaccination card.
3rd, vaccination room with 10 stalls (each with a shower curtain, looking like a change room). I was given a timer. They wipe everything between each patient. The nurse administer the shot, and set the timer for 15 minutes.
Last, I sat on this comfy chair in the observation room with partitions around each chair, until my timer expired. Someone came to collect my timer, cleaned my chair and raised the blue arrow to mark its availability for the next patient.

Very smooth. I felt nothing, until the evening. My abdomin had bad cramp for ~45 minutes, and then the pain subsided. I was fine the next morning.

update: 3 weeks later, when I returned for my 2nd shot, there was a lot less people (maybe ~1/3?). The vaccine, by then, was widely available. I could have gotten the shot in my neighborhood drug store. Instead, I walked 30 minutes the same facility. Countrary to most people, I had no reaction to the 2nd shot.