Monday, April 12, 2021

2021.4.12. Teneriffe

4/12, Monday. I took a day off, and went to Teneriffe, because it's a short drive. First time this year. I opted to go up via Teneriffe Falls and continue on Kamikaze trail (~3.8 miles). On the way back, I opted for the normal Teneriffe Mountain trail (6.5 mile) because I don't like going down in snow on steep hills without ice-axe.

About 25 cars in the parking lot on this weekday. Many folks just go to the waterfall. I tried to cut some distance by going offtrail a bit. Not sure I saved any time, but defintely avoided everyone. I took this photo of the lower cascade below the view point. Going up from there is straightforward, following the trail. Saw ~6 hikers. Some on crampons and ice-axe. Up to the ridge, was almost snow free. I did put on micro-spikes later on.

The vew is excellent today. Very clear. Can see downtown Seattle, Olympic Mountains across the Sound. This is the summit with 180° view to the north-east-south: from Baker to Rainier. I had the summit all to myself. Ate my belated lunch here (2:30pm), before going down.

Mount Teneriffe Trail is a long detour, towards Mt. Si. It offers gentle grade. On the top of the ridge, it was very flat for awhile, postholing a bit. No need for any traction device. In fact, I lost my microspikes due to postholing. I only realized this when the 2nd one stuck in the snow when I pulled my leg out. Had no idea when I lost the first spike. So packed away the surviving one. All the way, there were footprints to follow. Once awhile, the trail was cut by a creek, where you can see how deep the snow is.

Got back to the parking lot ~5:30pm. Still almost 10 cars.