Sunday, November 17, 2019

2019.11.15-17 Samsung Enterprise AppDev Hackerthon

All weekend long, starting at 5pm Friday till 5pm Sunday, at Thinkspace, another co-working space. 4 Samsung employees traveled the country hosting these weekend events with some local hands. Catered food multiple times a day, drink (non-alcohol) all day long, blanket and shower if you plan to stay overnight (quite a few kids did that). Not well advertised: only 20 some people showed up, forming 6 teams. About a dozen predefined topics. Each team can pick one, and come up with some solution, using Samsung's proprietary technologies. Four were highlighted: Dex (extends a Samsung phone to a desktop look and feel, when connected to a monitor with USB-C), Knox (a security feature that locks down phone features), S pen (a stylus that has a remote sensor and a gyroscope), Tizen (a smart watch).

11/15, Friday. I arrived just before the 6pm presentation on Friday. After forming a team with 3 others, we chose an EMS topic. We decided to go with a webapp used by ambulance with two layouts for phone/tablet and desktop using Dex. The app will be in kiosk mode (using Knox). However, we were informed that Dex only works for a native app. After last weekend's exposure to WebAssembly, I'm no longer interested in Android App development. Plus, it took me much longer to setup the development environment than I thought. By the time I had my skeleton tab app working, it was already midnight. I told my team that I'm out of the competition, but will be available to help part time.

11/16, Saturday. 10-3pm. I went to Google campus in Kirkland for a Qwiklab study jam and talks. Back to Thinkspace in the evening. My team had changed their focus, and wanted to implement an Knox app on patient's phone. I got the sample app to work, and helped Jari to get it working on his laptop. That took awhile, and then I went home.

11/17, Sunday afternoon. I went to the presentation. It was postponed to 2pm. So I had time to eat lunch. A lot of leftover food. I liked the last two presentations. One aimed to unify patients record with a QR code, which can be displayed in various formats. One aimed to track outpatient visits for better accountability using NFC tag for ID, location and timestamp for schedule, and S-pen for signature. I then went home before the program concluded. Overall, I think only the one hour demo is worthwhile to attend.