Friday, June 22, 2018

2018.6.22. Volunteer at Portland International Beerfest

6/22. I signed up the Friday 6:46-9:45pm shift about a month ago, and received a confirmation stating that 2 weeks before the event, I'd receive detailed volunteer info. I received no communication after that. So, on Wednesday I shot them an email. Someone responded by asking my full name so he could look me up, but then no more response. This morning, I sent another request, and I was told to show up at the North Park Block and ask for the volunteer booth.

It took me a while to find the volunteer booth. Lots of people. Very lively. At the edge of the 2 blocks are long tables of beer. Along Park Ave are drafts came in cookers, along 8th Ave are bottles/cans in ice buckets. The middle of the lawn is other vendors: foods, nitrogen fixed ice cream, marijuana booths, and a gambling place (I didn't look carefully what it is). Plastic tables and chairs. It's interesting to see this homeless hangout transformed to a party scene.

Deschutes Brewery and Hopworks Urban Brewery have the most interesting and distinctive vending vessels: a barrel and a bike.

A long line at the volunteer booth, so much so, that someone asked me what this line was for. After one batch of volunteers checked in, they were given a talk (too noisy for me to hear, even though I was just next to them). Before I got to the cehck-in table, the last ~10 of us were told that they don't need us any more. Since not all registered volunteers show up (no wonder if you don't communicate with them), they always overbook. We checked off our names on the list, and were given 5 drinking tickets and a small plastic cup. Fine with me. 5 tickets don't last long. The most expensive beer here costs 7 tickets. Most of them require 2-3 tickets for a 3 oz pour. No free sampling. There're also a couple of places that offer a full glass. I tried these 2 from the same enthusiastic volunteer: Pinkus Organic Munster Alt from Germany (was okay) and Green's Green's Enterprise Dry-Hopped Lager from Belgium (gluten free, suggested by the girl, which I like better). With only 1 ticket left, my option is very limited. I finally settled on Viva la Pineapple Cider. Boy, very pineapple. I like it.

Around 8, I went back to work.