Sunday, May 14, 2017

2017.5.14. Wildwood through-hike

5/14, Mother's Day. 5 of us walked on Wildwood Trail in Forest Park, from the Max stop (just before the beginning of the trail), to Newberry Road TH. Tracy ferried 3 of them from Newberry Rd to Max stop where Nanae and I were waiting, but left because she wasn't feeling well. Tomoko bailed out at mile 16, where she left her car (Lower Saltzman Rd). The rest 4 of us finished the 30 mile march in 11 hours (including all the stops). My longest day hike (by distance) to-date. The hike leader today, Severt (in his mid-70's), has done this back and back (yes, 60.5 miles). Nanae's longest day hike is around Mt St Helens (took me 3 days two years ago). They are all fitter than me.

Due to road blockage, and one person got lost, we started out much later than expected. Light drizzle. My photo timed at 7:56am at the trailhead.
At mile 3 (9:10am), short detour to Pittock Mansion (trail was closed due to a landslide) so I could use a proper bathroom (a bit dirty) next to the visitor center. The map on the trail starts only from mile 3.
Around mile 5, saw this stone structure, maybe a restroom in the old days.
At mile 11, we had lunch on some mossy picnic tables. I forgot to take a photo, but the tables don't look much better than this bench I photographed earlier. Enough sweat to make us chilled quickly. Saw some hail along the way (dumped yesterday).
At mile 16, Tomoko bailed out. Here's a photo of the 4 of them before she hiked up to her car (another mile). I really wanted to follow her. By then, my legs and toes were sore already. The weather has cleared up.
Mile 20, a short snack break, no place to sit.
Mile 25 Lief Erickson Road, a longer snack break. There're a couple of trash cans here. No benches, but logs you can sit on. I tossed extra water, and dumped trash.
Mile 29 (6:29pm). Every 1/4 mile there's a blue diamond and a marker on top.
Mile 30 (6:51pm), the last mile marker, photo of the remaining 3 (I was taking the photo in both cases). There's no official plaque for end of the trail.

Overall, trail is in good condition, only 3-4 down trees that we had to climb over. No water, no toilet. I brought over 3 litre of water, but consumed less than 2, because of the low temperature. Need to cross roads a few times. Mostly flat, but added together, a bit over 3000'. Due to the many trailheads, we were never alone for long. Hard to find a place to pee. Very very muddy. I'm tempted to throw away my pants and boots. The trail looks about the same for all 30.2 miles, quite boring. If it were not for the other people in the group (Nanae and Dan are very talkative), I wouldn't have completed it.

Learned two new flowers today: Large-leaf Avens and Herb Robert. They are everywhere along the trail, so are maiden-hair fern, yellow violet, soloman's plume, minor's lettuce, some trillium in seed.