Thursday, February 09, 2023

2023.2.9. TechStars demo day at MOPOP

2/9, Thursday, 6:30-9. Tech Stars hosts a demo day at Museum of Pop Culture. A large turn-out (free event, but sold-out).

After I bought the ballet ticket, I went to MOPOP. The exhibition is closed off, leaving only the main hall for the event.

Food: sliders (2 kinds: beef and falafel) on the table, servers carrying trays of little bites walking among the crowds. I like the mini salmon cones and the zuchini friter the most. In the left photo, there is the salmon cone, fried chicken and waffle (first time I ever ate this, too sweet), sweet potato on bagette. Even thought a lot of people came, I could still find empty spots to eat. I wasn't the only one who wore face mask here, but definitely very few.

Drink: 2 wines of Washington Hills, 4 beers, 1 cider, ice water dispenser. I had the salted caramel porter from Cascade Lakes (Oregon) and the pilsner from Two Beers.

About a dozen early stage start-up founders showcased their prototypes. I visited every booth. With time constraint, I only talked to one young presenter, the CEO of Gather that provides an online shopping platform between flower growers and end cosumers. They aim to local growers, so no shipping involved. Brief conversation with Indoor Collective, but didn't try their VR glasses nor the rower -- reminiscent of Nintendo Wii (except the larger and more expensive equipment here), with VR glasses (unnecessary extra cost in my opinion). One on legal search is interesting. They must have subscribed to some legal database that's not available to Google, or is it? Some inventory management software. Don't remember much else.

Set my alarm at 7:20pm, so I could run off to McCaw Hall in time for the ballet. It was still in full swing when I left, people were still filing in. Thank God that the ballet has an intermission, so I can relieve the beer that I consumed here.

I had no idea that venture capital and tech startups are still in the boom in Seattle.