Sunday, January 29, 2023

2023.1.29. Snoqualmie Mountain + Guy Peak

A last minute event that I joined (Saturday evening), and many thanks to C who picked me up in downtown (because I'm not able to get to the meeting location at 6:30am by bus), and leading the hike . Compared to my last climb to Snoqualmie, today's route is more straightforward, and not sliding down the slope in the trees.

1/29, Sunday. I was picked up ~6:15am near I-5 165B exit. Because of the last trip, this time I brought everything: spikes, crampons, helmet (on top of the required snowshoes), and extra clothes + mittens, goggles instead of sunglasses. It's expected to be very cold. At least not windy.

Parking lots were mostly empty. Started hiking up around sunrise. Lights on the lifts at Alpental were on already. This photo was taken at 7:51.

We put on snowshoes soon, as we were sinking. The slope gets steep quickly, and soon very steep. We were making zigzags on the snow slope. C seems know his way here. I just followed him. Didn't need to check the track on my phone. This slope is more open than the route we took 2 years ago. The view got progressively better as we gained elevation.

I got tired quickly (I'm out of shape), stopped twice to eat an energy bar. It was cold, my lips were half frozen. Surprising how difficult it is to chew or speak with numb lips. I pulled my balaclava over my mouth, so the breath keeps my face warm, but harder to breathe. So I pulled it over and off, and repeat ... Mittens make things more difficult, but my hands were cold. I turned my water bottle upside down, as ice started forming.

At ~4800', the slope eases a bit. Reached sunshine. I put goggles on. The wind kicked up a bit on the ridge towards Snoqualmie Mt. C kept on the west side, whenever possible, to avoid the wind. He later commented that goggle is a better idea, as the wind was getting behind his glacier glasses, and freezing his eye-balls!

Snoqualmie is a twin peak. We went to the west one first (marked as Snoqualmie Mountain on the map). Sat on the west side to minimize the wind. Ate lunch, took photos. A group of 3 snowboarders showed up. Then, 1 more. View is amazing today. We could even see Olympics. Rainier, Adams, Stuart, Glacier Peak are most prominent. So many peaks that I don't know the names. Snow Lake to the west looks charming.

My thigh muscle was near cramping. So we rested for awhile. After about half an hour, we moved to the east peak. Equally fantastic view. This is the view to the north, more jagged. Couldn't see Baker.

On the way down, met a handful of skiers and snowshoers. We took off snowshoes when the slope got steep. The snow is rather soft today, makes downhill easier. I put on spikes, whenever not on snowshoes. C didn't bother. Also, he never took off his ice axe. Definitely he's more comfortable with steep snow than I am.

Near the bottom of Cave Ridge, C checked the time, and asked if I'd be interested in going up to Guy Peak. Sure! We put on snowshoes again, as it's rather flat here. Continued to lose elevation till ~4600', and then headed up. The back side of Guy is fairly easy (I guess if you know the route), at least when it's all covered with snow. In summer time, one particular rock may be too high to scramble over. Now we make snow ramp. Guy Peak is only 5010', more than 1200' lower than Snoqualmie. The view is still very nice.

We didn't meet anyone around Guy Peak, even though we saw tracks. Coming down without snowshoes, more or less the same way. Near the bottom, put on snowshoes again. Cut over to join the main track. One of my snowshoes fell off, so I packed them up, and switched to spikes. In the lower section, I think spikes are useful. The snow is somewhat crusty. Upper slopes are more powdery.

Got back to the car at 3:20pm. C was very nice to go out of his way to drop me off downtown. I got home at 5pm. Still feeling cold, legs now stiff, but happy. First real hike after a long hiatus. Need to get in shape. C had to wait for me so many times today.

One mistake today: should have used snow basket on my pole. The snow was very soft today in the upper slopes.