Thursday, January 19, 2023

2023.1.19. Company event at San Francisco

Our week-long company-wide kick-off event resumed its normal January schedule. When I landed in SJC airport, it was no longer raining. The storm of last 3 weeks has finally ended.

On Thursday (1/19), after an all-hands meeting and 2 days of intense coding, 2 charter-buses hauled us to San Francisco downtown. First, mini-golf at Subpar, in Ghirardelli Square (a small open-air shopping mall). Still nicely decorated with holiday lights. I never really liked mini-golf. But it's okay if you have a lot of people rotating. Subpar has ~18 small courses, each with a miniature SF landmark. Golfing skill is not required, but luck is. There's also a bar that sells expensive drink while you play.

After I completed all the courses with my team (randomly assigned), I took off. Walked down to the Marine Park. There was a group of people swimming!!! It's January, and I was wearing a puffy.

Then I walked up to Black Point and Fort Mason. It's a bluff, so better view of the coast. Can see Golden Gate Bridge, and a nice sunset. There's a hostel here. Nice location.

Ran back to Ghirardalli Square to catch the buses to dinner at 25Lusk. We crowded in the downstairs with drink and appetizer. Too crowed for my liking. So I left to checkout the waterfront, and hoping to find some nice food place, and maybe order my dinner to go. Mission Bay is a couple of blocks east, at the end of a canal (Mission Creek). Oracle Park (home to San Francisco Giants) is all lit up. Good view of the Bay Bridge and the coastal lights.

Failed to find anything appleasing for food, I went back to 25Lusk. We were ushered upstairs, many with drinks in hand. Once seated, we were scattered over many tables. I sat at the end of the last table on one side. Pre-fixed, only 2 options. I tried both wines, and like them. Well, forgot to take a photo of the short-rib. My salmon was very good. No bread. I was still hungry after cleaning up my 3 plates. Some sales people were a bit rowdy, maybe already drunk. I sat across from M from Mexico. He showed me photos of Pico de Orizaba, which I intended to climb a year ago.

The 2 buses hauled us back to office. Caught a ride back to hotel.