Monday, July 04, 2022

2022.7.4. Teneriffe again

7/4, Monday. The weather looked better than forecast. Partly sunny in Seattle. Decided to do my usual Teneriffe lollipop. I carried a gallon of water this time. Got on the 10:41 Trailhead Direct at ~10:50. About a dozen on board. Got off at Teneriffe TH at ~11:35.

A few minutes slower than last time (~1 month ago). Made to the waterfall at 12:45pm, summit at 2:20pm. The waterfall is very thin already. No snow all the way. Phlox on the summit, about 5-6 bear grass on the wooded ridge. A lot less people above the waterfall today. I was overtaken by 2 trail runners (2 different parties), and they disappeared in minutes while I was panting and sweating. Near the summit, met 3 hikers coming down (2 different parties). Met an Indian guy named Malay at the summit. He asked me to take photos.

I ate my belated lunch, lamenting the clouds to the NE. Seems the ridge I was on sits between clouds and sun. When a third person arrived at the summit, I started down ~2:40pm. Malay followed me. We chatted on the way. At the waterfall, he continued on the trail, while I took the old path, and then to the faint connector to Roaring Creek trail, and out to Si parking lot at 4:45pm. After the waterfall, I didn't meet anyone until I was near the TH. Missed the bus scheduled at 4:40. The next bus (supposed to be every 30 minutes) didn't arrive until 5:30.

Home early enough to clean up, and eat dinner, before heading out to see the fireworks at South Lake Union (10:40-11pm). A lot of people.