Saturday, December 05, 2020

2020.12.5 Amabilis Mountain loop

12/5 Saturday. Sunny and warm. I dropped off from an overnight meetup for a solo trek, because my right foot still hurts. I wanted to be able to bailout any time. Amabilis may be my most stupid choice of a hike/snowshoe. From the most recent trip report on WTA (of 3 days ago), the road wasn't plowed, and there was very few people. But today, the entire loop was groomed, and it was busy. A 10 mile walk on a crowded ROAD is a bad choice. However, it's ideal for ski newbies: flat, wide, groomed. I was able to walk past a lady on x-country skis on the way down!

Couldn't get up when my alarm clock sounded. By the time I picked up the rental car, it was almost 10am. Got to Cabin Creek Snowpark at 11. The lot was almost full. I was surprised to see so many people, based on the last report. I guess the plower and weekend brought more people. 4 Honey Buckets at the big parking lot. Since I was wearing normal walking shoes (softer), I put on gaiters (they don't fit well). Snow on the road was packed down. So I put on microspikes, and strapped snowshoes over my pack.

Walk across the highway first before you gear up! Based on the map I downloaded, I cut a couple of corners of the zigzag. The lower two were a bit bushy, so slow-going. The slope was only half covered by crusty snow. The last one before the junction is better. I didn't even see the junction (~3400') when going up. I cut off one more corner afterwards, there, I put on snowshoes. Not sure if I saved much time, but certainly avoided everyone, and it was more fun. The last mile, I followed the road. This viewpoint is only 15 min from the top. The last ~100' is snowshoe only. Excellent view of Lake Kachess. Can see Rainier, but the south side is too much treed. Today was very windy. Saw a couple arrived and took off right away. Put on my softshell jacket. Took a few photos from different points, and headed down without eating my sandwich.

I snowshoed down the east side on ~0.3 mile unplowed stretch. Once I reached the groomed road, saw only one skier until the junction. Don't know why everyone stayed on the west side - no view at all. There's one stretch of open road with good southern view on the east section just above the junction. I decided to take it easy and stay on the road, while chewing my sandwich. So, packed away snowshoes. Took off the gaiter as well. Walked back down in my Ecco shoes without problem. The only slippery place is the parking lot. It was 3:15pm. No time for my 2nd snowshoe option.

Heard from Y that Snoqualmie Falls was lit at night. After filling gas in North Bend by exit 34, I drove to the falls, figured that I'd arrive at sun down. The town of Snoqualmie was full of holiday lights along Railroad ave. But no light on the waterfall. Maybe I arrived too early (~4:30pm). On the way, saw this herd of elks ‐ a nice finish of a sunny wintery day. I walked to the elk side of the road, fairly close to a couple of them. They didn't stir much. Is the rut season over?

Bought some grocery, and picked up some library material before returning the car. Forgot my hiking pole in the trunk, had to walk there Sunday morning to pick it up. It stayed where I left it.