Saturday, November 07, 2020

2020.11.7. Hibox Mountain

11/7 Saturday. Forecast is mostly sunny but cold (in lower 20°s). I met 4 total strangers (organizer M, French Y, Ukranian Y and Vietnamese S) at Eastgate at 7am, and drove to Rachel Lake TH in 2 cars. 62 miles, 1.5 hr drive (M was talking too much and actually missed a turn, so took us longer). 31°F. The parking lot was half full when we arrived. But only saw one Korean group gearing up there (saw them again on our way out), and only one runner coming out as we were going in. Didn't see anyone else all day.

Box Canyon CreekThe first 2 miles is flat after the initial gentle uphill, more of less parallel to Box Canyon Creek. However, often wet or muddy. mudI fell down to the very first creek crossing (slipped off a log) 10 minutes into the hike. My new softshell pants Kuhl Klash worked very well. The pant legs have boot hooks, no need for gaiters. This section is like an obstacle course now. view of HiboxSoon after this open area (another muddy area) with a view of our destination, Hibox Mountain, an unmarked and obscured track leads to the right into the woods.

steepThough faint, the trail is still discernable. Soon it gains elevation, fast. ~3500' gain in ~1.5 miles. Soon we were above the trees. No more mud, but more rocks. M made us put helmet on. Clouds rolled in. Once we hit snow, M made us put on micro-spikes. In my opinion, for soft snow and rocks, on steep terrains, boots work better without spikes. But I obliged, since this is my first hike with him leading. The weather deterioated. Snow started. Luckily I brought my rain jacket despite of the "mostly sunny" forecast. No more sign of the tracks. M has been here more than a dozen times, so he knows where to go. The scree section is easier now with the rocks frozen to the ground. In warmer weather, it would be loose so to make this steep slope more difficult.

Hibox summit scrambleNear the top ridge, the snow was almost knee high. M, in his 70s, was breaking the trail. Once on the ridge, wind picked up. S decided to wait below the summit block. I took off my spikes, and stashed my trekking pole. Here, I needed both hands to pull or push. Snow made it somewhat treacherous. My ski gloves are too clumsy to hold on rocks. Thankfully, it's a short scramble. Of course there was no view on the top. Everything is in the clouds. Didn't linger. Cold. Carefully edged down. I didn't put back on my spikes for the rest of the trip. I felt more traction with just boots.

A lot more snow now, covering our own track. We actually lost the trail on the way down in the woods for a little bit, had to fight over vine maple limbs. Even Rachel Lake trail had some snow accumulated. Met the Korean group at one creek crossing. M had spikes on all the way back to TH, so he was able to walk on fallen logs. I avoided logs - they were indeed slippery. Even the 2 sections of boardwalk were slippery.

M suggested dinner at North Bend Bar and Grill. I really just want to get home to take a hot shower. Plus, it's not a good idea to be inside a crowded restaurant. But we all obliged. So-so food, good service and vibe. Over the dinner, I learned a few more hikes. The French Y is also a competitive cyclist. He has done a million mile last year (biking, hiking, running combined), including PBP in 3 days.