Saturday, November 21, 2020

2020.11.21. Granite Mountain

11/21, Saturday. A rare sunny not-too-cold wintery day. 8 of us met at Eastgate P&R at 8am, and met 2 others at Granite Mountain TH. Had to wait around at both locations ‐ a problem with a large group and a lenient organizer. The parking lot was overflowing when we arrived. Only started hiking ~9:15. The first mile or so is in the forest. The sun was beaming through the trees beautifully. Mo was charging ahead, and we started in a quick pace. Soon, lost half of the group, including the organizer J.

At 10am, broke out of the trees, but still zigzaging in and out of trees next to an avalanche chute. I am not sure how it happened (I'm definitely not the fastest in the group), I was hiking by myself ahead of everyone. Snow soon showed up. The trail was packed down. At 11am, it was above tree line in a winter wonderland. Very pretty. Started seeing Rainier popping up in the south. The rocky ridge is now covered with snow, so a couple of sketchy parts. However, with so many people going on to the lookout, all is well treaded. So just followed the tracks, if no snowshoes. I stepped into a hole once, got down to my hip. Somewhat slow going. Around here, Y and E passed me.

Reached the lookout ~11:50. The fallen show slabs here have funny lattice pattern. Too many people here. I ventured more to the west end of the ridge, where you can see this lake (Tuscohatchie Lake?). After some photos, back under the lookout and sat for lunch. Saw my group came up one by one, except J. The base of the lookout became crowded. Mo brought a large flag: "The Mountains Are Calling. I Must Go." Many hikers took turns taking photos with it.

Even though it wasn't cold, sitting here not moving was making me cold. So I started heading down ~12:40pm, slowly. Again Y and E caught up with me, and three of us hiked back to the TH together. E returned my NWF parking pass, and they drove off. I had to wait for my driver. Finally at 4:20pm, I was dropped off at Eastgate. A bus just left, had to wait 25 minutes for the next one. By then, it was dark. Stopped by the library to pick up some materials before going home. Even though a long day with too much waiting around, still nice to be out.