Sunday, March 08, 2020

2020.3.8 August Wilson's Jitney

3/8, Sunday, 7:30pm. Day light saving time started today. So it was still light out when I walked to the theathre. Surprised to see so many people brave the novel corona virus at Seattle Rep's production of Jitney today. Maybe 80% full. Great stage set. This is a long play (2.5 hours) with one intermission, which can be inserted anywhere. Many little acts of a different time frame at the office of this "car service" in a neighborhood that's about to be torn down. You see the 6 cab drivers (including the boss) and their lives through the conversation. A young couple, age conflict, father-son reunion, office gossip, ... Regular life. Well acted and put together.

Up to 5 minutes before the show, when I read the program, I didn't know what a jitney is. I had hard time understanding the words, because the way the actors speak. As time went on, I got used to it, and beginning to like the play. Overall, I enjoy the play. I really like the ending.

Part of August Wilson's American Century, 10 plays show cased the African American life, all but one set in Pittsburgh's predominantly black Hill District. Jitney is my first encounter. Looking forward to seeing the others.

On the way back, took this photo of the Space Needle.