Sunday, March 01, 2020

2020.3.1. Mailbox Peak - the new trail

3/1. Sunday. 10 of us met at Issaquah TC at 7am for Mailbox Peak. Took the newly constructed trail up to . Last time, when I did this peak almost 10 years ago, it was only one very steep trail. I don't remember much. This new trail is quite gradual, so almost 2 miles longer each way. Saw a deer by the trail today. Yes, the last half mile or so is the same, going straight up (gaining 960'). We all used micro-spikes. Snow is packed down, but on such a steep hill, going down requires a bit caution.

A bit too cloudy today. Luckily, no wind. It wasn't cold. But we waited long enough for the last person to reach the summit, so I had to put on 2 more layers. The clouds went in and out, so I was able to snap a few photos with some background. When I was back at the higher junction, the sun came out, quite warm. Still chilly in the woods. One guy (not in my group) brought a whole bottle of rye whiskey, drank some, and left most of the bottle in the mailbox. Quite some pieces of food inside. A lot of people today.

~30K steps, 4000' E.G. Claudia gave me a ride home, so I was back home shortly after 3pm. She lives 2 blocks away.