Sunday, April 28, 2019

2019.4.27-28 Table Rocks - Crater Lake, another road trip south

4/26, Friday. Picked up a car and drove to Willow Creek Preserve for sunset. Not the best idea. The sun is setting behind trees. This year, flowers are late. Camas were just starting to bloom.

4/27, Saturday. Snoozed my alarm clock at 5:20am. Missed the sunrise. On my way to Upper Table Rock, I almost ran over a turkey. Common camas was the show today on Upper Table Rock. The morning light was still good. A few joggers and photographers with tripods. Only saw one small vernal pool.

I signed up for a birding event at 8am at Lower Table Rock. Here's the list compiled by the two guides of what we "saw" today. But this is what I saw, in 5 hours! I'm pretty happy with the binocular I bought last May at RCA's Astronomy Fair. One of the guides also carried a spotting scope.
Rufus hummingbird;
Lewis woodpecker with raspberry colored chest;
Wilson's warbler, very yellow;
California scrub jay, blue;
Bluegrey gnatcatcher, grey, not blue at all, small;
Golden crown sparrow, brown, with light yellow top head;
California towhee, little, brown, dull;
Rock wren, small, sand color, on top of Lower Table Rock;
Pileated woodpecker. Large, with red head;
Many turkey vulture, some puffed up turkey too.
Birding requires patience with keen eyes and ears, all of which I lack. We spent 3+ hours in the oak + buckbush savanna, not moving much. Had to put all my clothes on. Then we slowly walked up. We stayed closer to trees and the edge. Lots of turkey vulture at the edge. Rosy Plectritis was the show today on top of Lower Table Rock. The blue here was blue-eyed Mary, not lupine. Gold star and camas also were prolific. Saw many babystar (Leptosiphon bicolor), both pink and white. Yes, and the unique dward woolly meadowfoam. By the time, the group disbanded, it was past 2pm! And it was hot. My car read 77°F.

I drove towards Crater Lake. Used the washroom at Lost Creek Marina, filled drinking water. Didn't try the shower.

5pm, Crater Lake. Abandoned the idea of going to Oregon Observatory for the 8pm star show. Snowshoed to a private spot and cooked dinner. Then, I waited for the sun to set. Temperature dropped quickly.

Drove to Odessa Campground for the night. I don't remember why it's marked on my map. When I pulled in, it was quite dark already. No view of the lake. Looked on my phone over trails close by, decided to climb McLoughlin, because its trailhead is only 20 minutes away.

4/28, Sunday. Chilly night. 36°F. Up before sunrise this time, hoping to see the sun rise from Klamath Lake. Quite many nice houses along Rocky Point Road (the north half), but not Rocky Point Resort and the little town.

NF3650 (access to McLoughlin TH) was entirely blocked by snow. 31°F. I don't think I want to walk extra 2 miles each way on snow. So abandoned my last minute plan.

Upper Klamath Lake NWR is signed "No motorized vehicle". I guess it's better to visit here via canoe. It's quite pretty. Saw 2 sandhill cranes, many yellow-headed black bird - very yellow. Fresh horse dump, didn't see anyone.

Stop by Wood River. I don't remember why it's marked on my map. Heard the guide mentioned it this morning. Seems like a better bird watching place than Table Rock. Paved paths, both along the river and in the woods. Picnic tables, benches. Saw only one person here.

Collier Memorial rest area is a fabulous stop for restroom. It's also marked as a state park. Clean restroom. Plenty trees for shade. Drinking fountain. Picnic tables by river, where Spring Creek flows into Williamson River.

I originally planned to visit Oregon Observatory in Sunriver for the 8pm star program. So, researched the trails in the area. I visited Deschute River via Konclin Road. Wide, but very washboard, couldn't go more than 25mph. The road north of the junction to Slough Day Use area is in a much better shape. I parked at Sough, and walked to Benham Falls (~1 mile), and later to Dillon Falls. Both are not waterfalls, just a narrow in the lava field where the river had to squeeze through. The setting is interesting due to the lava rocks, and distant Cascade Peaks. Very dry other than the river. Quite a lot of people here: close to Bend.

Tumalo Falls has been on my radar for sometime. The road to the falls was closed, not sure why, since it's entirely snow free. The only snow left is at the parking lot by the waterfall. The couple who were eating sandwiches sunning on their truck bed told me not to bother with hiking boots. Good advice. It's a gravel road I walked on. ~2.5 miles one way. Practically no shade. Thankfully the temperature was pleasant, maybe in the lower 50°Fs. A few runners and more walkers. The waterfall is quite pretty. Don't know why I never came here before.

On the way back along Hwy-20, visited a few map markers on Metulios River. I must have marked then according to one of Bill Sullivan's guide books. First stop, the source of the river, a spring. Saw only one other family. The hatchery at Wizard Falls closes at 7pm. There's a washroom with running water. I couldn't find where the falls are. The river, however, is significant. Hard to associate it with the little spring source. I tried to visit the House on Metolius, but the access road was gated. Drove by Camp Sherman on my way back to hwy-20. A spread-out collection of huts and other random structures. It doesn't look very neat. I probably would prefer the FS campgrounds along Metulios.

Got home ~9pm. Returned the car the next morning.