Saturday, April 13, 2019

2019.4.13-14. PCTA Trail Skills College

4/13, Saturday, rain. This may be my last time attending PCTA's Trail Skills College at Cascade Locks. I had only 1 day of class. A repeat of what I did in 2016 ago. Most classes were full by the time registration was open to the general public. I camped at Thunder Island Friday night. No cherry blossom this time. Luckily the rain didn't start until Saturday mid-morning, so my tent was kept more or less dry.

My class, Introduction to Chainsaws, had 7 students and 3 instructors. We were lucky that the class was held in the tent, as it rained most of today. We learned each parts of the saw, what fuel to pour (50:1), how to hold the saw, how to put the chain on/off, file the blades, clean the air filter. Need to release the build-up of vapor when hot. It was a good refresher. During the break, we could warm up inside the big hall.

This class finished around 4:15. I left about half an hour later, without dinner, heading east - less rain. Lomatium was blooming on the slopes, but didn't see balsamroot.

Went to White River Falls, a day-use only state park (7am-7pm now). Water volume is more forceful than usual. My 3rd time here. There were a few people hiking out. As it was late, when I went down to the river, I had the whole place to myself. Thick with scent of sagebrush. yellow Lomatium blooms. Some other parsley looking plants with red stems, no flowers yet. The toilet by the parking lot here is proper, with TP and running water. The camp host parked their RV and truck next to it. The hostess with bright blue eye shadow was cooking dinner. I inquired about the plant and the road.

Instead of back-tracking to hwy-195, I continued east on hwy-126, and crossed Deschutes River at Sherars Bridge, and then turn right on Deschutes River Road (which connects 195 in Maupin). I really like this route. Scenic, no traffic. Maybe a little slower, but not much longer in distance. I saw only one car on the road. At the Blue Hole BLM campground by the river, I saw only one car (1 tent, 1 guy). Sun was setting. There're a number of BLM campgrounds along the drive. The one closet to Maupin had a few campers. I decided to continue driving till the rest area at Peter Skene Ogden State Park.

Some brights stars and some clouds at night.

4/14, Sunday. Overcast. Drove to Smith Rock State Park hoping to catch sunrise. But the red clouds I saw on the approach disappeared entirely when I arrived. I hiked the Homestead Trail so I was back at the rim again for another chance of the light, but the sun never broke out of the clouds today. Then, the typical Misery Ridge - River Trail loop. Water level was high. A very short section of the River Trail was under water. There's re-route. It's very short, but not for everyone. I was back in my car around 9:30am.

Went to Peter Skene Ogden park to checkout the 3 bridges. The Trunk Bridge (railway) and the High Bridge (de-commissioned) are historical. Not sure why they block the access (short) road to the bridge and parking lot. You can only park in the rest area and walk. The view of Crooked River below and the Cascades are good.

Last stop of the day is Cove Palisades State Park. I was hoping to hike Tam-a-Lau Loop hike. But the clouds were too thick for a good view of the mountains. The trailhead is way down by the lake/reservoir (I actually missed it, since it's not signed by the road). Drove to Round Butte Overlook Park. The park itself was closed. But the road is not. So, I parked outside of the fence, and walked next to the fence for a view down to the Dam and beyond. Along the drive, there were multiple pullovers above the canyon cliff to peek down 400' to Lake Billy Chinook and Lake Simtustus.

Uneventful on the drive back. Returned the car ~2:30pm (the office closes at 3pm).