Saturday, November 03, 2018

2018.11.3 SQL Saturday

11/3, Saturday, I went to SQL Saturday, a full day event held at Franz Hall in University of Portland. Oddly, this is the first time I visited this campus. Looks nice, at least briefly. I spent most of the day indoors.

There were 5 scheduled sessions, each with 6-7 lectures simultaneously. These are 75 minutes, with 30 minutes break. A few sponsors offer a lunch time 1 hour session (again many concurrent ones), with a 15 minute break. At the end of the day, there was a raffle from some sponsors and PASS (the organizer). I could only choose one to go at any given time. I liked the ones I went to, even though I've never used SQL other than in a class for one quarter, and probably won't use it in the future. Many general practices and methodologies are good to learn. Half of the speaks uploaded their slides to the schedule. These are the sessions I attended:
o) Encrypting Data within Sql Server -- Tomas Norman
o) Power BI Report Design for aesthetically challenged.
o) Running SQL Server on AWS (
EC2 instance comparison, types)
o) Detecting & Capturing for Data Warehousing
o) Predictive Analytics with R in Power BI
o) High Availability/Disaster Recovery 101