Wednesday, August 08, 2018

2018.8.3-13 Canadian Rockies, part 5/6, Banff

8/8, Wednesday. 85°F, smokey. On the way to Banff, I asked to be dropped off at Bourgeau Lake trailhead (~13Km west of Banff) on the way. But we missed the turnoff twice (both directions). The small parking was full. Since we didn't plan anything for today, I picked this hike from a hiking brochure the lady at Lake Louise visitor center gave us. It's a simple in and out hike. Took a photo of this map at the trailhead, and off I went ~10:30am. I asked to be picked up at 5pm (the hiking brochure says 6-8 hours to Harvey Pass: 20.4 Km, 1075m).

First, you have to go over this gate. Going up is in the trees for long time. 1 hour later is the bridge (still in the trees), 25 minutes later is a big, multi-tiered waterfall (open), some fireweed here. Blocks rocks were tied together, laid out for easy crossing. The trail is more or less following Wolverine Creek, but you don't get to see the creek other than here and the bridge earlier.

Back in trees and trail got steeper. 40 minutes later, it levels out into the lake basin. However, it's bushy here, not a meadow I expected. Still quite pretty. 10 minutes later, I was sitting on the biggest rock to refuel and to dry my socks. About two dozen people here scattered around the rocky shore of the lake. Very sunny, a bit hazy, very hazy looking back north. I was hiding under my umbrella. Elevation 2150m.

After the 20 min break, I walked back to the trail junction, turned to Harvey Pass (2.2 Km). First, some steep rock slopes, then the view got better after the first Harvey Lake. From here to the pass is the best part of this trail. A lovely alpine basin, grassy meadow, a shallow tarn, surrounded by steep and craggy mountains. Still going up, a second large blue lake. More rocky. There, the pass is just ahead.

Harvey Pass is a disappointment today due to the poor visibility. I can imagine the grand finale on a normal clear day. Saw a group of 9 French there. A bit windy. I came back and popped on a big rock next to the last lake for a 2nd break. Taking off boots and sweaty socks.

At 2:30pm exact, I headed down. Overestimated my speed in the heat. Back at the Bourgeau Lake trail sign at 3:15pm. Got to the trailhead ~5:05pm, later than I promised. Vinit was already waiting in the parking lot, now half full.

Very hot. Mid 80°Fs. Smell of smoke all the way.

Checked into HI Banff (CA$68). Only 4 beds in a room, toilet and sink in the room, with hair dryer. Big storage. Hooks, and outlets and lamp by each bed. A Japanese couple is in the same room. The lady hiked Assiniboine one way (Sunshine to Mt Shark) 5 years ago. She will be hiking Skyline Trail (by Maligne Lake) this time.

After dinner, the temperature didn't drop much. The sky was orange. We both didn't care to go for a short hike or just look for a sunset spot in the heat.

My phone registered 42631 steps today.