Tuesday, March 13, 2018

2018.3.13 Peter Carey at Powell's

3/13, Tuesday. Peter Carey in conversation with Omar El Akkad. Copying from Powell's website:
In A Long Way From Home (Knopf), two-time Booker Prize-winning author Peter Carey gives us a wildly exuberant, wily new novel that circumnavigates 1954 Australia, revealing as much about the country/continent as it does about three audacious individuals who take part in the infamous 10,000-mile race, the Redex Trial. Set in the 1950s, this is a world every American will recognize: black, white, who we are, how we got here, and what we did to each other along the way. Carey will be joined in conversation by Omar El Akkad, author of American War.
Carey read 2 brief passages of his new book. The only book I read authored by Carey is True History of the Kelly Gang, which I didn't like. Also I usually don't like these conversations, but this one is an exception. I like Akkad. He's a good interviewer, offered some insights and good questions, as well as allowing Carey to finish his thoughts (which wanders off a few times tonight). I think I enjoyed both writers and their conversation. Maybe I'll read them both when I have some time.