Sunday, July 23, 2017

2017.7.21-23 Mt Shasta climb

This is an easy outing, long drive, but hard climb and short hike (only 11 mile RT, but 7200' elevation gain). Sunny and warm. More windy than forecasted. I took 诺迪康 pills, that dad bought me from Tibet to help with high altitude.

7/21, Friday. I arrived at Marianne's house by 8:30am, waiting for the other 2 guys. At Lebanon, we picked up Jami, who works in grass farming. She's the youngest at 30. After another gas /coffee stop, we arrived at the ranger station at Mt Shasta, the town, ~3pm, to fill out the climbing permit ($25/pp) and to pick up some poop bags. Had an early dinner/late lunch at Gecko on the main street. 87°F. Drove to Bunny Flat. The road is closed from here. We are taking Avalanche Gulch (summitpost), the most common climbing route, to Mt Shasta. Lots of cars, and many RVs. One guy asked us to jump his car. Quite a number of folks lounged on the benches and enjoyed this view. However, you don't see the summit from here. We spent some time sorting out the gears. Decided to share tents and fuel. So I ditched my 1p tent, fuel, a fleece, and carried Marianne's rainfly. We didn't start hiking until after 5pm.

Very dusty trail. 1 mile (~360') to the only trail junction on this route (turn left to Hidden Valley for climbing Shastina). Horse Camp is 0.7 mile further at 7880'. We called it a day. Quite nice here at the end of the woods. $3/bivy or $5/tent. A stone hut for gathering / shelter, a spring, 2 solar compose toilets (saw dust for poop, tp, sanitizer). Quite a few scattered campsites on flat dirt. Not many people camp here (~5 parties). Almost all dried out. I had to look for snow to bury my sandwiches. The shelter has benches, shelves and posters, but no one is supposed to sleep inside. I found this picture very useful. There's a care taker here. She (Sharon) is very nice. Showed us potential sites. Later I inquired if I'm allowed to sleep on the benches next to the hut, so I don't have to distribute Marianne. She warned me about mosquitoes and traffic in the middle of the night. Both turned out to be true. But not bad. It's close to the water and toilet, which I profited the proximity. The stars were bright, no moon, clear milky way. I went to sleep at 10. Was awaken at midnight by mosquitoes, and by a group of very loud hikers around 2. I took half of melatonin, was able to go back to sleep not long after they left. My phone was giving me trouble.

7/22, Saturday. Sunny. A bit of wind, pleasant. Woke up around sunrise. The sun was behind Shasta. Only the southern sky line was pink. Didn't bother to get up until the care taker came to open the hut. She was pretty quiet about it. She let me use her binocular to look through the window at the climbers above Helen Lake, on their way to Red Bank. I finally managed to poop (after 3 attempts since our arrival yesterday). Changed and packed. Filled water and headed to our camp site to cook breakfast. Used Chatchay's fuel canister, since he was still in the big tent. Marianne was up, reading her Kindle in her tent. They really took it easy. We didn't depart until ~10am. There was this Indian group of 6, two of them wearing jeans, and some never used crampon before. I help one put on a crampon, after it got loose on the hill. I hope tomorrow, I wouldn't be behind them!

The first mile or so is on big rocks laid on the track (these rock steps really mess up your knees, especially when you come down). Dusty trail. 2nd mile is on snow. Not too steep: gaining ~2500' today. There were phlox, paintbrush, heather. Not too many flowers, maybe too dry. I was feeling fine. One guy coming down told me that his group left 4 fuel canisters by the side of the ranger's tent, because they overestimated their consumption. Good news for me.

We arrived at Helen Lake (no lake, or frozen) in less than 3 hours, again, taking it easy. Met Megaman, taking a 0 day on his PCT to climb Shasta. He is doing this as a day hike, in broken running shoes and micro-spikes. No helmet, crampons nor ice axe. He said he walked 28 miles yesterday and 33 miles the day before yesterday. No wonder his trail name is Megaman. After chatting with him, we had to go down a bit to look for campsites on the rocks. The late arrivals camped on the lake. Drank some chai, ate. Pitching the tent took a lot longer. The best sites were taken. Had to make do with limited space and shoveled some rocks. I would have preferred to camp at the lake (on snow). Peter also found dried feces next to his tent in the rocks. Some people are disgusting. I offered to scoop the dried poop away, but I didn't put it in my poop bag. I also saw the 4 canisters outside the ranger's tent. 2 one lb, 2 half lb. I took a half lb canister and melted snow. Later, the ranger hiked up, checked permits and told us where to pee and when to leave tomorrow morning (2-4am).

It was quite warm here. Maybe in the 70°Fs (over the night, it probably didn't go much lower than 50°F). Around 4:30pm, I decided to go up the snow and check out the pee place east of the "lake". It's quite disgusting. People threw toilet paper and got-knows what else in it. There's a rod marking the pit, with a duct taped sign. The next pit is labeled as private place. I guess you poop here and pack your poop. I continued up to the next rock pile. The snow was soft, easy going without crampons. I decided to stay here for a little bit to acclimatize more. I was typing this note, when I saw a guy coming down the snow slope. It was the Megaman. Very nice young man. Didn't mind to chat with me. You can follow him on Instagram. He said he's trying to promote himself into this hiking business. He said he was the first PCT through hiker this year who summited Mt Whitney. He also showed me his broken shoes. After bidding him goodbye, I walked up a bit more before returning to the camp. Marianne was reading in her tent. She had some trouble with her contacts. I gave her my solution, unfortunately not enough left to wash her eyes the next morning. I cooked and changed to sleeping clothes. Just realized that my hiking pants were torn in the butt :(

Went to bed around 8pm. This photo was taken from the tent. My heart rate was registered by my phone at 86 - not good. Marianne left the fly open both nights, so she could see the view. Both nights were warm. However, tonight, it was windier, and we were coated with a layer of fine sand. Despite of taking a 3mg melatonin, I wasn't able to sleep. The tent flapped all night long. I forgot my earplugs in the car. Trying to listen to some podcast, but my phone was giving me trouble. I got out of the tent once around midnight. The sky was not as good as at Horse Camp. Enough light pollution from homes down in the valley.

7/23, Sunday, tough. 2:10am, Chatchay came to wake us up. It was still windy. I didn't mind getting up, but not looking forward to hike 4000' in this wind. Eventually we got up. Marianne was having trouble with one eye. She didn't take my suggestion to wear framed glasses today to let her eyes rest, even though I offered her my ski goggles so she could wear glasses. Eventually, Jami and her decided to stay behind. Chatchay, Peter and I started hiking ~4am. The slope was lit up by many head lamps (see Peter's photo to the right). I actually didn't need mine to see where I was going. I put all my clothes on when cooking breakfast: rain jacket, rain pants, down vest, thermal long underwear. I was afraid that I'd get cold on the summit (forecasted to be in mid 30°F's), so packed my sleeping bag with me. Pretty soon, I had to take off a layer, then another. Problem with gaiters and crampons. It took time to adjust. But I was glad to sit down and take the time, as I was tired quickly, short of breath. The slope is quite steep. The wind wasn't too bad, but still a bother. I also realized that some mice had chewed on my energy bars, leaving 2 holes on one hip-belt pocket, at 10 thousand feet! ~30 minutes into the hike, an India guy, AJ, caught up with us, and asked if we knew the route. Yes, and Chatchay said, that he's welcome to join us. AJ's teammates abandoned the climb yesterday, didn't even make it to Helen Lake. He had to sleep outside without a tent (3 of them shared a tent). He quickly went ahead of me, but not for long. Chatchay and Peter are much faster than I am, and they waited for me every so often. Sun rose when I was still on the gulch, the southern sky was pink, and Shasta's shadow over the valley. A bit of cloud today, so quite pretty. I was wearing ski gloves, so difficult to take photos.

At the Chute of the Red Bank (~2000' above Helen Lake), AJ was so behind that I lost track of him completely. However slow I was, I was able to overtake one roped team. They were roped at about 5' apart, their rope was not sagging. Dangerous being behind them. At the Chute, I really struggled to overtake another roped team, this one on a fixed rope here, as it's very steep. I really dislike them. The Chute is very narrow, so they took up the whole space with good footing, and was very very show. At the top of the chute, I met up with my two teammates. The hard climb is over. But still about 40% to go.

Above the Red Bank is a long upslope of snow. Not so steep, until you reach a flat gravel area. Here, time to take crampons off, and put on more clothes. Be sure to have your mouth covered by thin cloth, so you can breath through it. Very dusty here, due to the wind. Zigzag up the Misery Hill. Afterwards is a football-field-size snow field. An obvious track was beaten through the crusty snow. Flat. Very pretty here, albeit windy. The view is expensive. Even though almost 14000' here, this is the easiest stretch of today. By now, I've put all my clothes back on (except for the rain pants).

At the end of the snow, you'll see about 3 rocky hills. A trail zigzags up one, hard to tell that it's the tallest. On top of this rocky hill, there's a registry in the middle of more rock piles. Met people coming from a different route. Back down where the register is, two rangers were sitting in the shade of the rocks. They were checking permits.

~10am, going down. Much faster, except for the chute: more dangerous. I glissaded before and after the chute. The upper sections were steep enough that I had to use elbow to add pressure slow down with ice ax. My arms were sour 3 days afterwards. Back at camp by noon. Jami and Marianne already packed her tent out, leaving my stuff in Peter's tent. It took him considerable amount of time packing up his 3p tent. I carried the tent body. Yes, there's cell signal on the slope, so we can contact each other. I was way behind even going down. Should have glissaded here too. It's possible to go down on snow much further, but stupid me followed the exact trail as when we came up, mostly on rocks. So, much slower.

After a dinner at the same restaurant, Gecko, we drove back north ~6pm, watching climbing movies. There was traffic on I-5 near Woodburn. By the time I got home, it was past midnight. Exhausted.

Overall a great trip, excellent company. Ski goggles are good in case I had to wear framed glasses. It doesn't fog up, and keeps dust out. Neck gaiters are useful to cover mouth and nose so to block the sand in wind. Should have zipped down the rainfly in wind no matter how warm. Should have brought a thinner sleeping bag, and earplugs. Shouldn't have put rain pants on until ready to glissade. I used one hiking pole and one ice ax going up on the climb day, two hiking poles all other times. Seems to work well. I need more regular aerobatic exercises to build up my heart and lung.