Saturday, January 28, 2017

2017.1.28. Pitt-Adington Marsh

1/28, Saturday. Lunar New Year. I drove to Pitt Lake for a walk. Instead of parking at the boat launch (like previous two times), I parked earlier by Nannie Road. On the way, I stopped briefly on the dike along the small branch of North Alouette River. A few people were walking here. Good view to the southeast, Baker in US.

I parked the car near the trailhead on the left end of this map. Walked counter clock wise of the smallest loop, about 5 miles? I saw less than 5 people. The left two segments have more grass. The east two segments have more water (a big part still has ice over the top), more birds, as they are further away from people. The red dot is the big parking lot and boat launch. The segment SE of this dot is quite muddy. If I had come here earlier (so more time), I should avoid this segment, and loop NE and come back along the lake. There's a lookout at that junction. If you turn right there, you headed to the east end of the lake. There's a very popular lookout along the lake (the east-west trail flat on the map).

From the big parking lot, you can walk along the road, but who would. However, later, getting back to the road and the car requires bushwhacking some thorny branches. Later in the season, when it's drier, there would be more options. It was just past 5pm, when I returned to the car. The sun was already gone.