Friday, May 13, 2016

2016.5.13. Dog Mountain in bloom + Falls Creek Falls

5/13 Friday. Due to office move at work's HQ, I couldn't work, even though there's a deadline looming ahead. I rented a car for the day and headed east along the Gorge for a couple of hikes which I had to drop out this weekend (yes, had to work this weekend, once the network is up in the new office).

My first stop is Cape Horn viewpoint. I've probably driven here many times, and hiked the Cape Horn Loop, but never stopped here for a photo. Now is a chance with myself at the wheel. It's on is a massive basalt cliff outcrop, with a great view of Columbia River Gorge. It's on the Washington side of the Columbia River at River Mile (RM) 132, approximately 10 miles upriver from Washougal.

I've heard of Falls Creek Falls a couple of times. North of Carson. After a half mile gravel road with potholes (not bad). When you think you may be on the wrong road, you come upon a big parking area with a privy. I'm surprised to see quite a few cars on this hot Friday. I did a simple out and back as described here. 3.4 miles RT. Trail goes along the creek for a bit, crossing two over-engineered bridges, then it's dusty hill in the woods. Not too interesting, and it was hot. However, the end is very rewarding: beautiful and thundering waterfall. Much cooler in temperature. The mist of the waterfall carries to your camera. The viewing area can see two cascades, and has enough boulder to sit around. A group women was celebrating a birthday, laying out lot of picnic goods. The lower fall is very tall and powerful. With some scramble, this hike can be made to a 6 mile loop going to the upper falls.

May is the best time to hike Dog Mountain, and it should be on everyone's top list when Balsamroot blooms. Looks like it is. The parking lot was almost full on this Friday afternoon, at 82°F. I made a mistake going left and up on Ausberger trail, and down on Dog Mountain trail. It's better to go up anti-clockwise. You'd see less people, as you are not against the main flow of traffic, and it's easier on the knees: steeper up, gentler down. The 6-7 mile loop is one hour each of dusty and sweaty march getting to/from the flowering slope. Saw a little snake in my first 20 minutes, and ran into two ladies (G & C) I knew. Once you reach the blooming section, it's a treat, a wow. On top of the dense flowers, you see Mt St Helens, Mt Hood and the snaking Columbia River.

After returning the rental car, I went to Powell's to hear Local guide author Bill Sullivan. Sullivan was here promoting his newly updated book on Oregon coast. I was 20 minutes late. Luckily Sullivan enjoys giving talks, it lasted a bit longer than other book talks. He also mentioned that his brother has built a website helping to identify flowers on the hikes http://www.oregonhiking.com/oregon-adventures/wildflower-search. It's available on his website, and I encourage everyone checking it out, as well as the books. I very much enjoyed his talk and slides.