Saturday, September 06, 2014

2014.9.6. PCT Day @ Cascade Locks

Sept 5-7, ~31°C. Sunny if not hazy. Cascade Locks hosts the 8th annual PCT Days on Thunder Island, at the shadow of Bridge of the Gods - the lowest point of PCT.

Since most events are on Saturday, I only went for one day. The two ends of the skinny island are camping areas. Grassy, with some big trees. Plenty empty space to pitch a tent. Bathroom is in the Marine Park on the mainland over a short walk bridge. Even though the highway (I-84) is close by, its noise is not really noticeable. The trains going by are loud and clear, and from both sides of the Columbia River. I didn't want to put up my ultralight tent without me watching over it, so I put some of my stuff in Mary's "car camping tent". A bit windy, not too warm. I ate my sandwich on my new lawn chair bought this morning for $2. Had some beers I brought in my small cooler. I left the chair and a hardcover book by Bill Bryson (just picked up at the library the previous day) on it out in the open, so the chair doesn't get blown over (well it did, when I came back). Then we walked around all the vendors and talked to most of them. Checked out some nice gears. You are allowed to try them on, lie on the mattress, or crawl into the tents. Other than the raffle tickets, I bought a tiny stove, and two savory bars, donated to the pedestrian walkway (on Bridge of the God) study fund. There's a lot of place you can easily spend your money here. The new gears are very expensive. There're 3 scheduled talks. I did attend the 3rd one about gears. They guy said the best thing for hot spots (to prevent blisters) is duct tape!

Lots of trinket tossing, and shouting (or cheering). I received a plastic water bottle by Steripen, or rather someone got too many gave one to me. (Mary used it, and showed me that it leaks!) Gregory and Berghaus had their own drawing - drew large crowds and produced a LOT of noise. Backpacks, rain jackets. Lori, another lady I know won a Gregory day pack. Quite nice. Some people put their trail names instead of real names. These are often funny: Psycho, Clutch, ... Many through hikers here. One guy just completed on Wednesday! Mary told me that when she asked 3 hikers at her table in the beer garden "what's next". The answer was unanimously "no more walking". I thought they would have enjoyed the long hike, and would be inspired to walk more.

5pm is raffle drawing. Of course, nothing was on time here. The announcer is very funny. From socks and coffee mugs to down jackets and mattress pad, bear vaults, gift certificate. The worst is road atlas of far off states: Georgia, Mississippi, ... (see photo: no one wants them) A big hairy guy won a ladies hiking shorts. This dog got excited when his owner won a canister of dried food. Bill Bryson won a microspike and something else. I won a Soto WindMaster stove - canister not included. Some people won many times. A guy said he bought 95 tickets ($100). Each volunteer received 20 tickets. Yes, a lot of tickets. The money is raised for PCTA, of course all the prizes are donated. At time dragged on, they had to speed things up, so awarding multiple items to each winner. It took over 2 hours to get rid of most of the prizes. Last, they tossed water bottles and lip balms out.

Evening program didn't start until 9pm (1 hour late). A short clip emphasizing volunteering in the wilderness areas using hand tools: this is the 50th anniversary of the Wilderness Act. A documentary movie Meaning of Wild, which I thought was underwhelming, filming 6 wilderness areas in Alaska Aleutian Islands and Coasts, generally aided by float planes and motor boats, then he and his guide hiked a bit. The scenery is nice, but not drop-down gorgeous. I like the bear place. The way he organize the film is quite good. I did enjoy the slide show of Jason Waicunas.

An easy and entertaining day. I had spare time to read 1 page of my book.

Sunday. I rose early. Only 8°. Walked across Bridge of the Gods, and walked back (~7-7:30am). Nice view of Thunder Island. Not many cars. On my way back, saw an old gentleman walking over. Couldn't find where PCT is supposed to go (left? right?) when I reached WA land. No sign. The Oregon side collects a toll. Pedestrian is 50c. On Saturday between 9 and 9:30, a few hundred people walked across free of charge - part of the PCT day event.