Sunday, July 25, 2010

2010.7.24. New York in 12 hours

Landed at JFK at 6am. Took the Airtrain + subway E to Guggenheim Museum which opens at 10am. Bought a pastry recommended by the cashier at Le Pain Quotitien (didn't know it was a franchise), and went to wait in the leafy Central Park. 8:45am at least 85°F, the park was busy with hundreds of joggers / bikers / rollers, and free hand operated bikes for handicapped (every weekend, I was told). Drinking fountain and benches near the 90th St entrance. At least here, New York city is humane and lovely (except for the heat).

Tried unsuccessfully to nap on one of the many benches along 5th ave. A long line formed in front of the museum by 10am. More than half foreigners. $18/15 is hefty for such a small exhibition. By noon, I was outside trying to resume my nap. The building itself is more interesting than what's on the walls (currently modern photographs and videos, mostly senseless). Only its Thannhauser Collection is worth some time. The two small exhibitions drawn from the permanent collection: Broken Forms and Geometry of Kandinsky and Malevich, are not too bad. The circular exhibition space allows continuous viewing. Not enough restrooms, each accommodates only one (big enough to be wheelchair accessible). Not enough benches. The complementary audio guide is sub-par (slow to load, and not mediocre content).

My uncle was able to find a parking spot right outside of the entrance. We went to lunch at Ze Cafe upon my request. I found it on Yelp, rated top one for brunch. The food is not as impressive as the premise: a small brick house tucked between two handsome grand buildings, sky light shines on center table laden with viennoises and flowers, walls adorned with little trees. The interior looks like a court yard. Well prepared dishes, pricey, small portion. I am very glad to see him well and chatted about our relatives. It's been over 5 years since we last met.

The purpose of this trip is J.C.'s funeral. Signed my name. Brought a bouquet of white lilies and roses. The wife and son were surprised to see me. Met one other person I know (who kindly shared these photos). Helped to put up some of J.C.'s photos on the wall. It's nice to see that everyone was in good spirit, after a long battle with cancer. I left at 3:50 before most people showed up.

I got a little disoriented trying to locate the subway station. After seeking answers from 3 people in vain, I talked to a police, who also didn't know where the station was, but at least know where the street was. Amazing! After 15 minutes' walk, I was drenched in sweat. Luckily my train changed its route so I didn't need to change trains. Arrived at JFK at 5:15pm. The plane left the gate promptly, then sat on the runway for an hour, causing delay of subsequent flights. Arrived in Seattle in time for the last Light Rail train. Got home ~1am, exhausted.


New York has an efficient and frequent public transit system. However, both trains I took changed their routes. So pay attention to what the conductor says. MTA's Trip Planner is extremely helpful. Subway trains have AC, but not the stations (very stuffy without any ventilation). $2.25 per ride. $8 for 4. Airtrain $5. Parking is not difficult to find in uptown and even midtown. $2.5 per hour. Avoid JFK if possible.