Tuesday, December 30, 2008

2008.12.29. Louvre

2008.12.29. Louvre. First time ever I had to pay admission. Avoided the line at the Pyramid, but couldn't avoid the million noisy tourists marching up and down (those who stood still were either posing for photos or flashing at Mona Lisa). Revisited some of my favorites: the 4 seasons by Arcimboldo, the opulent Apollo Gallery, the charming court yards Marly and Puget. 4 hours only covered about 1/3 of the space. But my legs were giving up.
After lunch, walked to Luxembourg Garden. Too cold to sit for long and watch kids throwing ice in front of the Senate. The lovely Medici Fountain looked quite forlorn.
My one day in Paris ended with a kir at Place St Michel, and a photo at Notre Dame (the line was too long for me to get in before my train to Florence) (€95. Can be €75 or €125 for a bunk in a 6x compartment.)
The holiday/Christmas mood was still in the air.