Tuesday, September 04, 2007

2007.09.01-02. Climb Mt Adams

Climbing Mt Adams (12276 ft)'s southern (non-technical) route: trail 183. My first (maybe only) time ever attempt to climb a real mountain. Accommodating weather, incredible view (Mt Rainier appeared to be lower!), fabulous sunsets, dry trails, extremely windy slopes, and seemingly endless steps. I'm still digesting the fact that I have made it, and a sense that as long as I try hard, and not give up, I can do anything I want.

Day 1: Depart from Seattle at 8:30am. Took 84 in Oregon and crossed Columbia River over the toll bridge (c75) Hood River <-> White Salmon. Arrived at Trout Lake around 1pm. Lunch next to the White Salmon River (a raft launch spot). Registered at the ranger station ($15), and picked up the plastic "Human Waste Pack-out System". Drove to Cold Creek Campground: the trail head (5600 ft). Started walking shortly after 3pm. Trees soon gave away to dust and rubbles. Reached Lunch Counter (9000 ft) around 5:30. Picked a camping spot 20 min higher up, with view of Mt Hood and Mt Jefferson to the south, and a clear view of tomorrow's destination. Melt snow to cook dinner. Temperature dropped fast, I huddled into my down sleeping bag without cleaning my pot. However desolate and windy, few grass actually made their home here. Sunset (~8pm) and the night sky took on a different splendor.

Day 2: The sun rose ~6:30am, casting Mt Adams' shadow over St. Helens. ~7:15, armed with plastic boots, crampons and ice axe, the real climb started. Two ice fields, one terrible rocky slope with loose stones, and countless little pauses later, stopped for lunch ~11:40am behind a pile of rocks, watching clouds zooming by. Quite a number of climbers wore no crampons, nonetheless they marched past me like rockets. I even saw one guy in shorts! Half an hour later, I was on all fours, trying to scale the last steep slope towards Piker's Peak (11600 ft). Once here, when the true summit came into view, I began to entertain the idea that I might be able to reach the goal. A small dip and the final yet gentler ascent put me on the summit ~1:15pm. Boy, what a feeling, and what a hut! I signed in the log book in a lead box next to the ruined hut. Now, picture time!
Coming down was no easy matter. Sliding at places, which was fun, but got my butt all wet. Again, seemingly endless trek. When I spotted the tent, my heart almost sang. 3 hrs later, had some hot soup, washed up a bit. I couldn't keep my eyes open to wait for the sunset.


Day 3: Up early, packed everything and started descent ~7:30am. 2.5 hr later, back to the car. ~3pm home, and laundry! It's a long way.