Tuesday, July 05, 2005

My two recent painting studies

No longer in the mood to continue. So I just call them finished.

This painting on the right only took about 3 afternoons.
Copied from a watercolor by Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema (Dutch born English 1836 - 1912) made in 1877, hence the lack of light effect. The title was "Spring in the gardens of the Villa Borghese". I simplified the background, as fountains in the original painting doesn't exit in the Villa Borghese. Okay, the real reason is that I'm lazy.

This one on the left took forever. I started it about six months ago.
Still not satisfied. Cannot quite get the effect of an oak tree.
The original painting is much larger (173 x 140cm), by Alexander Calame (Swiss 1810 - 1864), painted in 1859, titled "landscape with oak trees". I copied from a print in a book.