Monday, May 11, 2015

2015.5.2-3 More Spring Flowers - another road trip in OR

The weather forecast this week is too good to let pass. I rented a car and headed south.

Saturday 5/2. First stop, I-5 exit 263, Willamette Mission State Park, not a flower destination. Lots of cars today: 5k and 10k run. Paved biking trail. The mission itself is gone. Some steel frames mark the location. There's also a plaque of the biggest cottonwood tree. Lots of space, large grassy ground, picnic tables under walnut or hazelnut trees. Probably it's better to come here in autumn to collect the nuts. Camping here is $5 per person. Not a bad overnight stop close to Portland. I hopped on Wheatland Ferry across Willamette River. 1 man operation, with high cables for electricity on a pulley. Free for pedestrian. $1 bike, $2 car. May fit 9 cars.

Just as I got onto I-5, I saw large fields of irises and tulips to the west. Around Salem, I-5 divider is covered with small blue flowers.

Arrived at Portland Vortex around 3:20pm (I-5 exit 40 or 43). But had to wait for the last tour around 4pm. $12.5/pp. It's interesting. Demos of optical illusion: things in NE are smaller than in SW. See the photo taken many years ago. The property is very small. Tour only. The guide uses us as instrument for the demos.

Today's goal is Table Rock, I-5 exit 33. I picked lower Table Rock, as it's a bit longer. I walked ~1 mile to the southern edge along the abandoned air strip - yes, it's that flat, and you don't have a sense that it's up. Mt Mcloughlin can be seen to the east. The view at the edge of the fertile farmland 800' below and winding Rogue River + Kelly Slough is fabulous. On the top The ground looks volcanic to me, rocky, only the runway is smooth. Mid-April is best for flowers. Still some left. Only saw one pool of water. Along the trail up, lots of camas, seablush, blue eyed mary, cluster lily, and mariposa lily. On the edges of Table Rock, saw big buckwheat.

Rogue Valley State Park and Rest Area (I-5 exit 46B) is a good overnight option close to Table Rocks. Not very cold.

Sunday 5/3. Gas in Grand Pass. I5 exit 71. Grave Creek covered bridge (1920) and the remnant of Grave Creek ranch (now a museum looked to me closed). East of I5, very close to exit 76.

Wolf Creek Inn (1883) has been restored to its former glory, and with many famous visitors under its belt (including Jack London in 1911!). At the moment, it's closed until 2016.

Continue from Wolf Creek Inn for about 30 minutes on a winding and narrow, but paved road, is the start of the 40 mile national recreation trail: Rogue River trail. There're boat/float tours and car shuttle services that enable a one way hike. It follows the north bank of the river as it winds its way toward the Pacific Ocean. The west trailhead is at Foster Bar, about 30 river miles inland from the coastal town of Gold Beach, Oregon. Two THs next to a big concrete bridge, impossible to miss. I saw one turkey, and only a couple possible tent sites along the drive. Close to the bridge, one spot has better potential. The north TH (before passing the bridge) also serves as a boat launch. 2 pit toilets. I, and most cars parked the farther end of the bridge. About 6-7 cars. 2 had a window smashed. I took this southern trail for 2 miles to Nainie falls - just a rapid. Lots of yellow irises along the way, among other flowers.

North Bank Deer Preserve east of I-5 (#135 Wilbur or #129 Winchester) 5.3) mile on North Bank Rd. I probably parked at the west entrance. It's pretty big and hard to miss with a BLM sign. There's a poster stand, nothing else. You walk up a grassy slope over many poison oaks, lots of small white flowers and others. As you walk higher, many oaks and eagles. The view of Umpqua River on the short hill is beautiful. Met a family of 3, otherwise, no people, even though I saw two trailers in the parking lot. Very quiet and pleasant. Sad, no deer either.

Willow Creek Preserve in west Eugene. Camas in full bloom, covering the entire field south of 18th Ave (almost nothing north of the street).

William L Finley NWR in Corvallis is quite big. Gravel access roads. Nice visitor center. Lots of ponds (birds hiding) and flowers on hills. Met a group staring at a swampy area. They saw a female rail, which escaped me entirely.

Last stop: sunset on Baskett Butte (or Bald Mountain) at Baskett Slough NWR. Lots of Mariposa Lily on the top. Very pleasant short (1 mile) walk up the grassy slope. View of the slough and farmland below. Sunset ~8:15pm. About a dozen people.

On the drive to Salem, saw some fields covered with white flowers. Full moon.

Rest area along I-5 in OR: exit 19, 45B, 63, 99, 143/4, 178, 206, 240, 281.