Sunday, November 28, 2021

2021.11.28 Isamal - day trip #1 from Merida - Winter in Mexico part 3

11/28, Sunday. Izamal.
Bus line Centro. M$44 to Izamal. 9:45am. I made a mistake buying the first ticket I saw. Not only that, I bought a RT ticket for 80 pesos (2nd mistake). It was only ~8:30am. So I walked around, and found Orient has a departure at 9am. So bought a ticket again. M$33. "Only" 10 min late. Oversold seats, with 2 standing. On the way, picked up and dropped off more passengers, stopped at numerous small towns, all standing. The bus itself is fine, with AC and curtain. We arrived just before 11am.

Orient bus terminal is 1 block W, and Centro is 1 block S of the main attraction: Convento San Antonio de Padua. Huge, elevated, with ramp and stairs to get on its large lawn, surrounded by columned walkways. All painted yellow, like other houses near the center. All very picturesque. The cathedral itself is a bit bare inside other than the gilded altar piece.

Between the convent and the main plaza (to its north), a line of flower-decked horse carriages waiting to be summoned.

The market is just west of the convent. I went to look for Centro's bus terminal, and took a photo of its schedule from Izamal.

Then I went to look for the ruin. I followed Google's label to the out skirt and couldn't find it. A lady saw me bewildered, and offered me a ride to the 'pyramid'. It's only 1 block north of the plaza. You can climb to the top, no gate. Good view of the town from the top. The upper stairs are not repaired as much, so climb with care. This pyramid is named Kinich-Kak-Moo.

On the way back, I took Centro, 30 min late, from Cancun. No direct bus except early morning, so either via Tepakan or Motul. The bus is colder, maybe because it is only 50% full. Bus has no bathroom.