Sunday, June 20, 2021

2021.6.20. Pratt Mountain, Rainbow and Island Lakes

6/20, Sunday. For a short day, I decided to scramble to Pratt Mountain, because I really liked it last December. Now with snow mostly gone, it envolves more bushwacking. Yes, winter is better for this one.

Talapus LakeAfter dropping A off at the airport, I drove to Talapus Lake TH. Arrived around noon. I was lucky to find a car pulling out, so got a spot right next to the parking lot. This is a busy trailhead: a lot of cars lining up the potholed road. Talapus Lake is less than 2 miles in. I took to its left shore, no one came this way (all crossed the bridge and continue on the main trail. Both Gaia and Caltopo show a trail connecting the two at the lake boundary. There is NO trail. I gingerly walked over logs that are choking the lake outlet.

Pratt Mt. view to the south Saw a couple of people walking out with large packs. One couple camped at Olallie, another at Pratt Lake. Pratt Mt. view to the north One lady told me that there were mosquitoes, but they were not biting. Before Olallie, I took the slope on the left. 400 or so feet later, cross the trail to Island and Rainbow Lakes. Continued up, in less than 100' reached the ridge. But very little snow left. Scrambling along the ridge is a chore now without the snow. Dodging trees without good foothold. It just gets tedious. The upper ridge is a boulder field. Some snow on its north flank. Scooped up some to my water bottle. The view is very good, but not as good as in winter. You can see Island and Rainbow Lakes from here.

I didn't want to retrace my route along the bushy ridge. Opted to go down the south slope to hit the trail, and visit the lakes. Once hit the trail, followed it west. The lake basin was still snow covered. There were melted footprints towards Rainbow Lake, so I followed. The lake was melted on the edge and mushy on surface. Quite pretty. There's supposed to be a backcountry camp here. I didn't look for it. Retraced my track a bit and went to look for Island Lake. No prints here. A couple of small tarns on the way. You could see Pratt Mt behind me. Island Lake is bigger. Its outlet falls down steeply towards Talapus. I could hear the waterfall, but couldn't really see it.

Back on the trail, scrambled down towards Olallie Lake. 6:45pm already. The lake was in the shade. I didn't see any campers tonight. It's good to visit around this time (instead of on my way in): quiet. From here on, it's on trail. Easy going. Still a few cars at the trailhead.