Friday, February 12, 2021

2020.2.12. Oyster Dome

2/12, Friday. Took today off from work. However, stayed too late last night (researching where to go for the impending bad weather), so by the time I picked up a rental car, it was almost noon. Drove to Chuckanut Drive to hike to Oyster Dome, an all-season trail. Thick low lying clouds thinned out as I drove north. Could see North Cascades clearly.

iciclesAt least 10 cars parked along the road, narrow pullouts. 35°F. Walk over the highway first, and headed uphill. The trail sign and map is quite up into the trail. All through, well signed, well maintained. After the initial ascent, the long zigzags were flat. Frozen groud, not much snow. Icicles on rocks.

Oyster DomeReached the summit in 1.5 hours (3 miles, 2200'). The view over the sound is nice. I initially planned to do a loop over Lilly and Lizard Lakes. But I realized that I was running out of time, so headed back the same way.

Samish OverlookI did walk to Samish Overlook (which you can drive to). About 5 cars parked here. Samish Overlook Even though ~700-800' lower, similar view. I headed down there, cut two zigzags. Not sure if I saved any time. At least made the hike less boring. Got back to my car ~4:30pm. Still 4 other cars. I brought micro-spikes, but didn't need to use them.

BakerI marked a few spots to check out snowgeese. Did see a few on the drive here, in a couple of spots, but maybe only ~50 total. The first place I stopped looks depressing. Saw a flock of little black birds. The 2nd spot is very nice. Quite pretty. Could see Mt. Baker still, even though the clouds were thickening. snowgeese I walked about, didn't see any white bird. As I turned back, a cloud of white birds took off. Hundreds? Thousands? Too bad that I forgot to bring my binocular. They were too far to tell trumpet swans or snow geese. They flew about for a few minutes, and settled down the other side of the water. That made my day. ~5:30pm. Getting cold. Below freezing now.

As I drove back to Seattle, snow started falling.