Sunday, July 22, 2018

2018.7.21-22 Tatoosh Ridge

7/21, Saturday. 3 of us met at 1pm near my home, and drove to Tatoosh Trail (116). After a gas and a restroom break, we arrived at the trailhead ~4:30pm ~3000'. About a dozen cars. Warm.

To train for my upcoming Rockwall trail (due to trail closures, my hike there is much more difficult than I had envisioned), I carried 2 gallons of water. The trail gains about 2500' in 2.5 miles. A good workout. Saw about 8 people hiking out. I managed to take a wrong turn, and ended more west than the saddle. Had to bushwhack a bit. One water jar started leaking. We filled our water bottles, and poured the rest. At this ridge top at ~5800', we set up our camp while watching the sun go down. After the 3 tents were put up, we had our belated dinner, by a snow patch. We had enough water, didn't need to melt snow. Priya buried her leftover Pad Thai in the snow, which she ate the next morning. Bright 2/3 moon. A bit breezy, not too cold (~ upper 40°s). Because I was wet (sweat + leaking water), I got a bit cold. Didn't sleep well first. When I got up ~2:30 for a bio-break, the wind had died down, didn't get colder. The stars were brilliant. Rainier was clear. There was some light in the horizon.

7/22, Sunday. Priya woke me up ~5am for sunrise. Thanks to her, we watched the sun slowly rising. The breeze were back, and our tents were dry. Took many silly photos. After breakfast, we packed up, and hiking out ~8:30.

First, we left our packs at the saddle (~5700'), didn't see anyone or tent there. We went down to the lakes (~5000'). The steep trail was filled with avalanche lilies. Met 3 anglers at the bigger lake. Refilled water, and my gallon. Taryn took a dip in the smaller lake. Some mosquitos, not too bad. Still, the two of us on the shore put on long sleeves. I saw a fish swimming slowly close to shore. It's about 3-4". I carried the filled bottles and jar up to the saddle, the only real workout today. Met 3 hikers asking about the lakes.

I carried my pack all the way, just for training purpose. I don't know why they didn't want to leave their packs at the trail junction. It's about 1.5 miles to the junction to the Lookout. The flowering slopes were mainly yellow and white, dotted with a bit magenta (paintbrush). The full summer color is still weeks away. There were a couple of small rock slides. On the way back, I carried Priya's pack over this stretch. Gee, her pack is much heavier than mine.

My favorite part of this trail is from the junction to the former lookout. About 3/4 mile. All the way, view of Adams, Goat Rocks, and the dry St Helens. Lots of avalanche lilies and glacier lilies. Pasque flowers were in any stages between flower and fluffy seeds. 3 hikers passed us. The view at the 6400' lookout site is absolutely stunning. The turquoise tarn below had only melted a circle, showing the lovely color. We spent a lot of time here. The girls took many silly photos. We didn't see anyone else until we were back on the main trail.

As the day went on, temperature rose to uncomfortable. Had to help out a group of 3 who ran out of water. More and more flies. They were tenacious, sometimes couldn't just shake them off. I got quite a few bites on my shoulders. I was wearing long pants and long sleeves. Back to car ~5pm, half an hour ahead of the 2 girls.

Driving home, saw a small herd of elk in Packwood. We stopped there for restroom. Hot and slow. Arrived at home at 9pm, still 90°F! Maybe 5 miles on Saturday, 9-10 miles on Sunday.