Sunday, March 05, 2017

2017.3.5. Death Cafe

3/5, Sunday 2pm. I wanted to find something else to go to downtown for, as I was contemplating attending an author event at Powell's in the evening (about mushroom). Was intrigued by the title, completely unaware that Death Cafe has been going on for a few years and in many parts of the world.

I was late, as usual. The hostess lead me to a random table with a vacant chair. One side of room has coffee and tea, some sweets. I was surprised see so many people, spread over a dozen tables, ranging from 4 to 8 each. Most attendees are old, but a few are my age or younger. Each table has a facilitator, who's done these events many times. They have a sheet of questions to address if no organic conversation is going. My table has 6 people, only 1 man. His wife, also present, had a near death experience 39 years ago, which she only briefly mentioned. Our facilitator is in her mid 70's, very open, with a hearty laughter. She worked as a midwife, as well as care taker in hospice for many years. She told a lot of stories, and shared some some books (Being Mortal, The Good Death), movie How to Die in Oregon and information for Oregon, like POLST, voluntary stop eating and drinking and other info, as on WA state website. Of course some are on its website.

At 3pm, we were told to change table if we wish. No one at my table moved. I really enjoyed this event, more so than the book talk later on.