Saturday, February 08, 2014

2014.2.8. Snowed in

Heavy snow started 11am-ish Thursday, continued till today. Now is frozen rain. The hike I signed up for today was cancelled. I'm stuck home. Decided to bake. My bread dough is not rising. Too cold. But butter cookies (sablé) are easy, especially after I cut a few steps out. Result is ugly, but still pretty tasty. My "revised" recipe:
3 cups of stone ground whole wheat flour. 
Half pound of unsalted butter.
3 large eggs (my large eggs are not big enough).
0.5 teaspoon of salt.
1.25 cups of brown sugar (regular sugar is better to mixin).
0.t teaspoon of vanilla extract. 
1 pinch of baking soda (should use baking powder)
Mix all together (everything is organic except for baking soda), until lumpy.
Form disc with my palms. Put in greased pans.
Bake in preheated oven at 350°F for 15 minutes. Let it cool.

Another problem with staying at home is online shopping.