Sunday, April 21, 2013

2013.4.20 Volunteer at Mosier Plateau

Saturday 4/20. Cloudy with brief sun breaks. I joined Friends of the Gorge in a stewardship program. Under the direction of Renee Tkach, Gorge Towns to Trails Project Manager, a dozen of us trimmed the trees, hauled out debris, dug out invasive teasel, leveled a part of trail on a now flowering slope (which I don't think it's worthwhile, if not actually cause damage to the slope). We were given tools, gloves. I got 3 ticks on my pants, and sat by some poison oak at lunch! I should have sprayed myself before getting into the woods to cut tree limbs.

Mosier is a small town on the edge of Columbia River. Not much going on. Most stores appeared closed on this Saturday. Nancy Russell bought 40+ acres of Mosier Plateau many years ago for $90k, and subsequently donated to the land trust. A very nice bluff with gentle incline suitable for cars. A trail is being made to connect to the city park with Mosier Falls. Great views over the surrounding fields and Columbia River. Already lots of balsamroot, larkspur is on its way out, some lupine already started blooming. Many tiny Rigid Fiddleneck and vetch, a single Bighead Clover.