Sunday, April 29, 2018

2018.4.29. Devil's Peak Lookout

4/29, Sunday. Overcast with occasional light rain. Similar forecast as Saturday, so I was hoping to have the same brief sunshine. 7 of us + 2 dogs went to Devil's Peak Lookout east of Mt Hood. 3200' 7.6 mile/RT. Unfortunately, we couldn't see a thing from the lookout. From partly cloudy Portland, we arrived at the trailhead in light rain ~1 hour later. The rain turned to snow half way up. All day long, light rain and light snow was off and on, but too cloudy to see far. A pity. I was told you could even see Jefferson on a clear day, yes, of course Hood very close. By the time we returned to Portland, it was partly sunny!

The trail is somewhat steep in the first 1/4 mile. I was quickly outpaced by 4 ladies (2 younger and 2 older than me), whom I didn't see until at the Lookout. I heat up so quickly that I had to take off my rain jacket. Luckily I carried my umbrella. No much wind in the trees (in fact, not much wind on the top either). The slope eased later. After about a mile, you are in a rhododendron forest. Of course, too early for flowers. Then snow on ground, and soon, snow from the sky. I put my fleece back on, not my raincoat. I was happy to see snow after 3 days of 80°+ weather in Portland last week. I somehow missed the door at the lookout. I even lift the shutter to see if the windows open, because I could hear voice from inside. After 5 minutes sitting down, I gradually put all my clothes back on, including a down vest. There're 2 beds, and miscellaneous tools. 2 small bottles of weed! No fire lookout tools though. Not sure if it's stationed in the summer. Coming down is a breeze, boring.

Even though there was plenty of snow, the snow was soft enough, and I don't understand why all 6 of the others put on micro-spikes or yak-trax. I felt fine without, even though I had brought mine. A couple of slopes were steep where you traverse on snow, but I still don't see how the small spikes would help. Nothing icy. Hiking poles are useful, as they help my knee on steep trails as well as in the snow.

Another link from Oregon Hikers with TH GPS.