Sunday, August 10, 2014

2014.8.10. Summerland at Mt Rainier

8/10 Sunday, warm, sunny. My favorite hike in Mt. Rainer is Summerland - Panhandle Gap - Indian Bar, with 1-2 night backpack. For today, I'm perfectly happy to be just in Summerland, even though it's as crowded as ever. 8.6 mile RT, 2000' elevation gain/loss.

Much nicer trail compared to yesterday, smooth and gentle. Frying Pan creek is nice too. Lots of mountain asters before reaching the big bridge. Lupines are already seeding. Heathers and monkey flowers are painting patches of pink. Mt. Rainier looms close enough to see cravasses. I dipped my towel in the creek, and then put it on my head, so I could sustain the toasting sun. The view is too good to hide in the shade.

Stopped at Packwood for beer. A few deer hanging out right by Hwy 12 in town in broad daylight. 4 hours drive to home :(