Sunday, October 08, 2017

2017.10.8. Fun Home at Portland Center Stage

10/8, Sunday night. The reviews are super positive, so I decided to watch Fun Home. Arrived at the theatre ~7:35pm. They let me buy the ticket and get into the theatre, but I couldn't sit down until the first song was over -- this is okay, my fault entirely. However, I was disappointed in a few ways. 1) The voices are not good (especially the kids) -- seems common in musicals. 2) The articulation of the kids, especially when they sing, is often incomprehensible. They are adorable, and do a pretty good job acting, but not singing. 3) the story about the dad is ill conceived: why he fights with the wife all the time, and why he kills himself after the daughter's newly awakened homosexuality. With a lesbian daughter and understanding wife, he ought to be happier to pursue what he had been doing all these years, or even make a change. 4) Why funeral home? Just to make it funny? I actually like the funeral home part. But for a short play, it might be a good idea to devote all energy to the main theme (homosexuality). Right, the play is not well written.

I like the idea of simultaneously using 3 women to play the daughter. The retrospective sense is well conveyed.