Sunday, April 16, 2017

2017.4.15-16 Crater Lake - Rogue River

4/15, Saturday. Picked up a car and drove south. I have registered a walk with South Oregon Land Conservancy on Sunday 4/16. Driving along Umpqua River is very pleasant. Rolling green hills on the west end, and rugged east end, where you find NFS campgrounds and waterfalls. I only had time to check out Watson Falls, which is supposed to be the tallest. 20 minute loop.

This is my 3rd time camping at the rim of Crater Lake. This winter, the overnight parking is no long allowed near the Rim Village, maybe due to heavy snow. The parking and drive behind the lodge is only plowed in the center. I had to park at a special lot next to the main visitor center (headquarter where you obtain camping permit). My car was the 5th. Due to heavy snow, this 8-car lot can fit at most one more car.

I was given a map of the Raven Trail. Luckily I was able follow the track made by the previous camper. Snowshoe is needed on this trail. ~40 minutes later, I arrived at the lodge. There were plenty visitors here stomping the snow hard enough that you could walk just in boots (which I did when coming out).

Crater Lake is beautiful as ever. Warm and calm, perfect reflection. Even though I've arrived a bit too late (5:30pm) for the best color, the water is still deeply blue. I camped just south of Discovery Point up on the hill. Can see Mt McLoughlin clearly, Shasta was a bit faint. As the sun goes down, the snow turns to a shiny pink. Sun set around 8pm, and pretty soon afterwards, the temperature dropped quickly. My shoe laces were frozen at the tips where wet. I kept my water bottle in the tent, for fear of the water freezing inside. Thanks to the clouds that formed in the night, it didn't get too cold. I did get out once shortly after midnight, just as the 2/3 moon was rising. Not a lot of stars due to the clouds. The moon was very bright. Didn't need any head lamp.

4/16, Sunday. Woke up to dark thick clouds. Packed out, and hitched a ride from the lodge down to the visitor center. I was surprised to see anyone so early (~8am). Short hike at Prospect State Scenic Viewpoint to see Mill Creek Falls (173') and Barr Falls (242'). It happens to be the Easter Sunday, lots of colored plastic eggs along the trail.

Stopped at Joseph Steward State Recreation Area and cooked some food. Clean restrooms, lots of picnic tables. They offer boat launch, camping, and fishing in Lost Lake (a large reservoir).

I arrived at the meeting spot 15 minutes late. Luckily the husband of our hike leader was left behind to open the gates of the newly minted Rogue River Preserve. I was not the last one who showed up. Nice property, lot of rosy plectritis flowering in the meadow, oak grove, and bushy savanna. The group had lunch by the river. There's a care taker onsite, who has scattered a lot of things here and there. The main house close to the river is expected to be fixed up, and used as a retreat. The hike leader is not very knowledgeable on plants, luckily compensated by other participants. A few rain drops.

Since I'm in the area, I decided to visit my favorite flower place here. I picked a shorter one this time: Upper Table Rock. It always looks like a garden on the top (in spring at least). More variety is found on the way up. Without a guide, I don't know what kind of meadow-foam I saw. They are very small.

A long drive home.