Sunday, August 14, 2016

2016.8.13-14. Goat Lake loop + Elk Pass

My 5th trip to Goat Rocks wilderness, covered the most territory.

8/12, Friday. Picked up a rental car around 5:20, but didn't leave until well past 6pm, hoping to avoid traffic. My car showed 98°F when I filled up gas ~6:30pm. Smooth on Hwy-26, but slow north of Portland going across Columbia River. Google said 6+ minutes. I stopped at the rest area around I-5 exit 55, and Cowlitz ranger station at Randle for restroom, because I was drinking constantly. The latter only has a pit toilet outside of the main building. It was stuffy hot when I opened the door ~9pm. Didn't go in. 10 minutes later on Hwy-12 is a proper rest area (clear sign, north of the road), with running water, seat cover, soap, and descent toilet paper. I overshot the turn by 1 minute, because it was already dark, I couldn't make out the sign. Having the route on my phone is always a good idea. Driving at night has its advantages: you can easily see the on coming traffic, and very little traffic. I was driving in the middle of the wide gravel road. Only 2 cars headed out. When I got to Chamber Lake campground, I circled the place twice looking for a site. Seemed all taken. Lots of people. 59°F @10pm. 3/4 moon was high. Some stars. Not good enough to see Perseid Shower, which was in peak yesterday and today.

Woke up around 3:30 to use the toilet. Walked to the lake. The sky wasn't dark. Could still see milky way, but not shiny. Only a handful stars in the lake. Counted 5 shooting stars, and returned to my sleeping bag. A warm night.

8/13, Saturday. Alarm at 5:30. At 6am, the parking lot at Snowgrass trailhead was full. 57°F. I parked at Berry Patch TH. An outhouse and a garbage can. You can walk here from the campground. I forgot to bring my pass. So, wrote a note, put on dashboard. I left the car unlocked, and windows slightly down. Hazy and cloudy today. It explains why last night the sky wasn't dark. In 2 hours, the junction to Bypass trail. I took Snowgrass trail. Lots of people camped at the junction of Lily Basin trail. Lots of side trails that end at a site. At 9am, I was looking for a tent site. Checked out a few. Opted for a more exposed spot for better view, and close to a small flowering creek.

Packed a small nylon bag, headed north on PCT. Ate an early lunch at one camp site (for better shade). Took my shoes off and rest, facing Snowgrass Flat and Mt Adams. Flowers were past their prime.

Continued up north, passing a few more tent sites. At the junction to Old Snowy, most people turned there. I continued. More snow than 2 years ago when I came here with my nephew. A couple of snowy slopes to negotiate. Then on to the so-called Knife's Edge. It's a wonderful ridge walk. Not too narrow, but I still am glad that I didn't encounter horses. Saw goats twice. A family of 6 in a lupine field just below Packwood Glacier, and another group of 3 on snow a bit north. There're also a couple of tent sites. No water though. Said hello to a group of 3 PCT through hikers. They started in April. 20 minutes later, another through hiker, who's quite unusual. He's very chatty, inquired about alternative routes. He said he re-supplies himself by buying food at towns rather than shipping prepackaged boxes to town. They were all hoping to get to Packwood tonight, which is 17-18 miles away + hitch hike. Not very likely.

I turned around at Elk Pass, about 10 miles from TH. I could see where I walked last weekend. Anticlimactic. It's lower, and lost view of Rainier. Coyote Trail branches off to the left (W). Met a boy heading that way.

At the north trail junction Old Snowy, I decided to avoid the sketchy few steps to get on a boot path over a snowy slope. It was only 4pm, so slowly, I walked up to Old Snowy, since it's a short and straight forward jaunt. I was pretty tired by then. At one of many resting stops I made, I noticed a group of ~20 goats in McCaw basin. The top of Old Snowy offers a closeup view of other Goat Rocks peaks: Ives, Gilbert. On descent, met the first Singapore PCT through hiker, Raccoon. He got disoriented by the sign. Even though he was maybe only 10 minutes shy of summit, he turned back towards PCT. He said that he was tired. He came here only to hike PCT, raising money for cancer research. We walked a bit together until a temporary small creek formed by melting snow, where I decided to wash and fill water. I took 2 photos of him, so he can update his Facebook page later for his followers. He said his parents is worried because he's doing this epic hike alone. He's 26. Later, just above the Flat, I met an elderly through-hiker, whose wife is from Philippines. His pack is considerably larger than others. He was hoping to camp by Elk Pass.

I got back to my tent around 7pm. After dinner, walked about for sunset photos. All day haze and clouds provided beautiful color by the setting sun.

My phone registered 44k steps. So probably 16 miles + some walkabouts.

8/14, Sunday. Night sky was darker, but I didn't wait for shooting stars. A warm night. The first time I use this new bag. 45F MH phantom.

I started hiking out at 6am. Blue sky. Headed to Goat Lake. Pleasant temperature. Met 4-5 hikers on the way, but saw many tents. Lots of flower on this trail, easy walking. Arrived at Goat Lake at 9, took off my boots and ate my last sandwich, facing the blue-green lake. Some ice still floating on it. Windy. I put on my rain jacket. So many tents here. People are packing up.

From here to the junction of Goat Ridge trail, flowers were at their peak. Their fragrance filled the air. View of the Goat Lake basin, the Goat Rock peaks and Mt. Adams is unbeatable. This stretch is my favorite of the day. I took too many photos.

At the trail junction of Lily Basin Trail and Goat Ridge Trail, I left my pack behind a tree, and headed north (right) to continue on Lily Basin trail. I was hoping to see Heart Lake and Lily Basin. However, I soon turned back by this snow patch after passing the junction to Hawkeye Point. A bit too much scree, even though I met a group of 4 backpackers who came this way. The junction itself is worthwhile. Mt Rainier looms behind Johnson Peak.

Walked up to Hawkeye Point, at the middle of this photo. Along the way saw people camping, using snow melt. There's a geological marker up there, and remnants of some structure, a lookout? Lots of rusty nails. I cannot resist placing this rusty bowl for a photo. The 360° view here is splendid. It's interesting to survey the landscape that I walked yesterday.

Back at the trail junction to pick up my pack. Finished the weekend by hiking down Jordan Basin along Goat Ridge trail. Jordan Basin is quite pretty. Plenty of flowers. I got distracted by side trails to campsites, and lost the trail while shooting photos of the creek and flowers. Had to scramble to back up. I rather like this Goat Ridge trail. Not too many people. The trail eventually connects to Snowgrass trail, and back to Berry Patch TH. Washed up a bit using the water I took in a milk jar.

My phone registered about 32k steps. Roughly 12 miles. Later, I had to walk home from the car rental office, which added additional 3 miles to the long and beautiful weekend.