Saturday, October 10, 2015

2015.10.10. Upper Salmonberry River

10/10, Saturday, rain. 8 of us walked part of Upper Salmonberry Rail trail. I'm very glad that I went, even though I got quite drenched. A very pleasant flat trail with many historical viewpoints, canyon and creeks, tunnels and rail bridges. Got to play with the track switching bar.

A detailed mileage and features can be found at this log, which covers the entire trail.

* Mile 0.3, Cochran Pond. Quite big for a pond. Saw 2 small salamanders.
* Mile 1, walk on rail track, Tunnel 26 spur, no railing, a couple of short segments. Saw optic cable line exposed due to landslide.
* Mile 1.8, Tunnel 26 is just long enough that I used headlamp. Rain started.
* Mile 2.7, the aptly named Big Baldwin Trestle. Maybe 200' tall, wide, long and straight. Very impressive. Just before it, is a big wagon, supposed to hold water.
* Mile 3.6, Tunnel 27, short enough that you can get away without a lamp.
* Mile 4, on the west side of this tunnel is Wolf Creek Trestle. This is my favorite. Not much railing. But wide and stable. It curves gracefully to the right. You can see the other side: almost a U turn. By then, the rain has increased intensity. Despite of my umbrella and raincoat, my pants and boots got soaking wet hiking through the under bushes.
* Mile 5.6, Tunnel 28. Just before that a railway carriage, dubbed as B&B Shack 4. I wouldn't be surprised that there are 3 other "shacks" spread across the forest. Here it's more canyon like. A creek running along the track. We had lunch in the short tunnel, its front has collapsed a bit. Even though we were out of the rain, any small breeze over my wet clothes gave me a chill. We voted not to continue because that the immediate next is the broken Kinney Creek Bridge, which requires going down to the creek and ford.
Return the way we came, but much faster: no one bothered to stop for photos in the pouring rain.