Friday, September 28, 2012

2012.9.28. Goat Mountain

Sept. 28th, Friday, cloudy, rain. Goat Mountain. 3 miles to the trail end.

A late start. I didn't start hiking until 3pm. The trail head is about 2.5 miles left of SR542 on Hannegan Pass Rd (decent gravel/dirt road, mile 46, 13 miles east of Glacier Ranger Station). Mine was the only car parked at the lot before the trail head. 20 minutes in, met 2 young dudes in camouflage outfits, chatting, one if whom carried a gun. That got me a bit worried. The trail is in good shape. Not steep, mostly soft along the zigzags. 1.5 hours later, emerged from the forest. Met one hiker on his way down. Blueberry galore, the best I saw this year. Still some Indian Paintbrush left. Mountain ash's red berries are everywhere. The mountain slopes here were all red! At this time, it started raining! I pulled out my rain jacket and continued, hoping for the rain to abate, and it did, when I reached the old fire lookout, ~25 minutes later. Excellent view, also a good place to pitch a small tent (however, no water source, exposed). There's another tent site closer by the trail. Shuksan is staring right at you. Baker was in the clouds. It was not yet 5pm, so I continued on in the endless blueberry field (but drier and smaller) to see more distant North Cascade mountains. The trail disappeared more or less an hour later. I scrambled on a bit along some water seepage among yellow grass. It was steep and slippery. I was creating erosion, so I turned back soon enough without seeing any more reasonable trail ahead. Also it was getting late: 5:45. I can imagine the view at the top promised in the guide.

Picking more blueberries on my way down. Got back at car at 7:20, too dark to see the trail. As always, I stopped at the ranger station to wash up. There was just one other car there. Crossing the border at Sumas at 9pm was quick and smooth: the officer didn't even check my duty free beer purchase. Pouring rain on Hwy 1.

From Seattle to Glacier, I took Hwy 9 from Hwy 20. Along Hwy 9, between Doran Rd and Saxon Rd. has great view to the east: Twin Sisters. Often I fill gas at the Texaco at the junction of SR 542 and SR 547 (~mile 23), 15 minutes west of Glacier Ranger Station (~mile 34), or ~107 miles from Seattle, or ~60 miles from my sister's home.